[LMB] OT:- Old Businesses

M R Dolbear fm little.egret at dolbear.fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 28 01:04:44 BST 2017

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017, at 23:34, James M. BRYANT G4CLF wrote:

> Harvey's mind boggles at the thought of:-
>
>  >A 180 year old business at the same location...
>
> One of the entertainments of training courses
> I used to give to newly hired engineers from
> the USA (and elsewhere) was a pub-crawl in
> Oxford.
>
> The first one was the Bear Inn - while drinking
> people would ask how old it was. I started off
> "Students had been drinking beer here for 250
> years..." pause for exclamations of amazement
> and then continue "and then Columbus discovered
> America."
>
> We then went on to the Turf Tavern which is said
> to have been in the same place just outside the
> City Wall since the 10th Century, although none
> of the present buildings are that old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_companies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kong%C5%8D_Gumi

the once family-owned construction company traced its origins to 578 AD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean%27s_Bar

Sean's Bar is a pub in Athlone, Ireland. It claims to be the oldest pub
in Ireland, dating back to 900 A.D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bingley_Arms

The Bingley Arms is a public house in Bardsey, Leeds, with a history
dating back to between AD 905 and AD 953

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasdale_Head
Wasdale Head claims to be home of the highest mountain (Scafell Pike),
deepest lake (Wastwater), smallest church and biggest liar in England.
The last of these claims refers to Will Ritson, who paradoxically
proclaimed himself as such.

--
Little Egret by email
Michael Dolbear in Walton-on-Thames