[LMB] OT: At the Museum

Helen Fenton hifenton at internode.on.net
Sat Oct 28 05:22:53 BST 2017

Kind Regards,
Helen Fenton

> On 27 Oct 2017, at 11:37 PM, Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 27 Oct 2017, Helen Fenton wrote:
>>
>> My butchers have been in business at that spot for the past 180 years with the same family operating the business.
>>

>> Helen
>
> A 180 year old business at the same location; my mind boggles.
>
> Harvey

Considering that European settlement of oz is relatively young and it is extremely unusual to see building of that age still in use,.

Their family were some of the first settlers in the Illawarra region. They started out as dairy farmers then sidelined as butchers. Their first farmhouse is still there with family members living in it . The original butcher's shop is next door with the old barn  still behind it. Their original property was divided up and sold off after the Second World War. The house I own was built in 1947 on a block of their old farm . The butchery business is run by the grandfather, father and four sons. They have two great grandsons apprenticed as butchers at the moment. They still breed their own beef, sheep and pigs on their own properties in the highlands . They cure and smoke their own hams for Xmas ( mine is already ordered) . They believe in old fashioned service. If I am not well I can ring up and they will deliver my meat order to my door at no charge. My son set up their computer system for them and when Xmas came around they did not charge me for any of the goods I ordered even though they had paid my son for the work he did.
They are a lovely bunch of guys

Helen