[LMB] Levels of Bafflement

Margaret Devere margaret at devere.net
Mon Jan 15 05:32:36 GMT 2018

John:

What I can't do, prosodically, is allow the rhythm of Lois's phrase to be
consistent in the sense of having a basic foot that is not substituted,
however I find it fascinating that you (and perhaps Luke), thinking
musically rather than prosodically, do hear such a consistency.

Self:

I wasn't aware that the sense of rhythm in music was different from the
sense of rhythm in poetry. In fact, I thought they were the same. And my
musical background is significantly more extensive than my prosodic
background, so I automatically think in terms of musical rhythm. And it's
easy for me to represent most poetry in musical notation, although I
understand that if the poem is performed that way, it may be considered
singsong.

Can you comment on how musical rhythm and speech rhythm are and are not the
same?

Margaret

---