[LMB] AKICOT:L Transferring a Kindle app to a new computer

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue May 1 12:50:03 BST 2018

On Tue, 1 May 2018 06:31:07 +0000 (UTC), "M. Haller Yamada"
<thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've found plenty of stuff on the internet about transferring old Kindle contents to a new Kindle, but my problem is a little different: I have a
>Kindle app on a Toshiba Dynabook. And about ten days ago, I spilled a little water onto the broken shift key of said Dynabook. Last time I
>checked, I could get into the data of the Toshiba Dynabook (with a USB mouse and a USB keyboard), but it's a bit wonky. Sometimes I can't
>click on the file I want to copy; lots of silly messing around because the keyboard is still interfering.
>
>SO, I've got a new computer. I want to transfer my Kindle app contents (complete with annotations) to my new computer. It's possible that I
>might have a proper back-up (I think I saved the entire C: drive).

If you can find the files, that might be the simplest thing.

>Can it be done? Or do I need to install a new Kindle app? And what about my annotations? Do I need to tediously copy them, one by one?

They should be synced with your Kindle account, shouldn't they?

>Particularly, I'm worried about the last Penric, because I didn't update the book (when you update the book, you lose the annotations).
>
>Has anyone done this?
>
>And if you think I need to set up Calibre, or some other program, can you point me to an easy beginner tutorial/link/article?

Are all these books bought from Amazon?  If so, you should be able to
simply re-download them all to a PC or Mac.

Calibre is pretty straightforward.  Download and install it, and then
you can import books from disk or from a device.

Never used the PC app, I've always had an actual Kindle.  If you don't
have a Kindle, here's a neat tip: get the *cheapest* Kindle ebook device
you can, secondhand, whatever, as long as it's barely functional. Attach
it to your Kindle account.  Get the serial number from it.  You can then
use this, with a third-party plugin, to "sideload" your Kindle content
to a PC, and de-DRM it as you load it into Calibre.

--
"It's like using topiary techniques on kelp in an attempt to
make a bonsai tulip; talk about unrealistic goals." --Darkhawk