[LMB] AKICOT:L Transferring a Kindle app to a new computer

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun May 6 16:54:18 BST 2018

On Tue, 1 May 2018 08:55:47 -0400, Fred Smith
<fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

>> Never used the PC app, I've always had an actual Kindle.  If you don't
>> have a Kindle, here's a neat tip: get the *cheapest* Kindle ebook device
>> you can, secondhand, whatever, as long as it's barely functional. Attach
>> it to your Kindle account.  Get the serial number from it.  You can then
>> use this, with a third-party plugin, to "sideload" your Kindle content
>> to a PC, and de-DRM it as you load it into Calibre.
>
>Don't even need any kindle at all for that purpose. Just install the
>Amazon Kindle-for-PC program and use it to do the downloads. Just make
>sure it runs on the same machine as your Calibre installation, and voila,
>deDrm will work.
>
>(you do need to install dedrm separately from the Calibre installation.)

Are you talking about a separate programme, or the deDRM plugin? The
latter seems to require a Kindle ID.  I have (somewhere) an old Kindle
keyboard device; I use the ID for that to process my sideloaded files,
especially since a lot of the ones actually downloaded directly to the
device seem to use a new format that the plugin can't cope with.
--
"..proper sport being football and cricket and nothing else.  Everything else is a game
or a pastime.  Except golf.  Which is an abomination, encouraging bloated publicans