[LMB] AKICOT:L Transferring a Kindle app to a new computer

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon May 7 13:54:50 BST 2018

One way to import books is to open the Kindle app on your computer.   I see all of the books I have available, even though they all aren’t on my computer.   I open a book, then I go to the folder that has my Kindle books, which on my Mac is in Documents\My Kindle Content.     The most recent folder in this will be something like B07CNJX6WX_EBOK.   That folder has some files, including one with an .azw.   I open that book with Calibre, which is set up to remove DRM with Kindle books.   After that book is in Calibre, I can choose to delete stuff in My Kindle Content - or keep them.   If they are deleted, next time I try to read it using my Kindle App, it will be downloaded again.

Calibre will tell me if the book already exists.  If I load it anyway, it is possible to merge the two copies.   I’ve done that when I buy from a site that has multiple formats.

Now I check to see that all of the meta data are correct - they usually are.

If the site does not have multiple formats, the next thing I do is tell Calibre to create an .epub (or .mobi) version.

Then I go to the created Calibre files.   If I just created a .mobi version, I run “Send to Kindle” to get a copy on my Kindle devices.   If I created an .epub, I load it to readers that prefer that.