[LMB] AKICOT:L Transferring a Kindle app to a new computer

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue May 8 00:59:34 BST 2018

On Sun, 6 May 2018 19:01:00 -0400, Fred Smith
<fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

>On Sun, May 06, 2018 at 04:54:18PM +0100, Marc Wilson wrote:

>> >Don't even need any kindle at all for that purpose. Just install the
>> >Amazon Kindle-for-PC program and use it to do the downloads. Just make
>> >sure it runs on the same machine as your Calibre installation, and voila,
>> >deDrm will work.
>> >
>> >(you do need to install dedrm separately from the Calibre installation.)
>> >>

>> Are you talking about a separate programme, or the deDRM plugin? The
>> latter seems to require a Kindle ID.  I have (somewhere) an old Kindle
>> keyboard device; I use the ID for that to process my sideloaded files,
>> especially since a lot of the ones actually downloaded directly to the
>> device seem to use a new format that the plugin can't cope with.
>
>Marc:
>
>I'm saying that if your goal is to decrypt kindle books so you can
>use them in calibre/whatever, you don't need a kindle at all. Install
>Amazon's kindle-for-pc or whatever they call it, then download the books
>you want to decrypt using the kindle for pc app. install dedrm (latest)
>in your Calibre, which should be running on the same PC as the kindle app.
>tell Calibre to add books, point it to the directory where the kindle stores
>its books and import-away.
>
>The kindle books have unreadable filenames, but if you look at the amazon
>page for that kindle book, it'll show the "Asin:" under the Product Details
>section, and that value is what comprises the bulk of the filename.
>
>unfortunately, this requires one have Windoze installed somewhere. Being
>a Linux-head, my solution for this is windows in VirtualBox on my Linux
>desktop system.
>
>caveat: current versions of de-drm work best wiht version 1.17 of the
>kindle app, which is NOT the latest version. The dedrm forums give
>voluminous details on where/how to find 1.17, as well as all the
>other things you need to know to make this work.
>
>Good luck!

Ah, OK, wasn't aware you could do it this way.  As it happens, I have
not one but three Kindle devices, so I can simply use one of their IDs
to trigger the decryption.  And I use Windows, as the software I use to
make my living runs on it!

Interestingly, Amazon knows about my Windows device, but *doesn't* offer
a download option specifying that device: it's there in the download
options list, but greyed out.
--
I wish I could reenact the fantasy scenes from 50 Shades of
Grey.  Like the one where she gets a job right out of college.