[LMB] Vorkosiverse Characters Meet Harry Potter Sorting Hat

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Sat May 12 01:21:31 BST 2018

I think that, when considering Rowling's Sortings, one must keep in mind Hagrid's initial statement to Harry, that Slytherin is nothing but bad seeds. It is only in later books, after she was exposed to critical analysis, that good Slytherins started appearing, and bad Gryffindors started being found.
Speaking as a Ravenclaw, I think Ravenclaw villainy comes from the conflict between the world as it is and the world as it could be, and the methods used to attempt to change the former to the latter. Some are better than others, and C4 is never as effective as the brochures claim.
Raye
Sent from Yahoo7 Mail on Android

  On Sat, 12 May 2018 at 5:51 am, Alex Kwan<litalex at gmail.com> wrote:   Hello,

> On 12 May 2018, at 03:06, Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:
> Consider, if you will, the way James Potter relentlessly bullied Severus Snape for nothing more than his poverty and social awkwardness.

Hm, to a certain extent, yes, but it was also because Snape was hanging around Lily. And the worst incident, with James et al turning Snape upside down, Snape called Lily a mudblood right before that. I’m not excusing James’ behaviour, but I don’t think it’s because of poverty.

> Hufflepuff villainy comes from a Rules Is Rules standpoint. I give you Dolores Umbridge.

According to Rowling, Umbridge was a Slytherin… Not how would have Sorted her, but *shrug*.

little Alex

Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to raye_j at yahoo.com
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk