[LMB] Points that simmer to the surface....

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon May 14 02:20:32 BST 2018

Wandering through a few semi-rereads the other day, looking for a
reference I couldn't find, and I ran across the bit where Ivan is made
to feel bad about introducing his '...um...stepfather....'

Ok, so just how is he supposed to introduce him? Alys and Simon
haven't married, so Simon ISN'T his stepfather. They haven't even
made any official reveal about their relationship, and technically
Simon doesn't live with Alys, he has his own place even though he
never seems to be there. 'This is my mother's lover.... boyfriend...
gentleman friend....?' Actually terming him 'stepfather' even with
an um before it is pretty generous, it's recognising Simon in some
way being related to Ivan, not just being a connection of Alys's.

The whole family have a happy hobby of making Ivan look and feel
foolish, and inadequate. Really he's amazingly strong to get through
all that and find his own centre - which he managed a long time before
Miles did.