[LMB] OT: The Expanse TV show cancelled?

Jonathan Spencer jonrspence at aol.com
Tue May 15 15:22:27 BST 2018

Unfortunately,  the deal SYFY made for the Expanse doesn’t work in 2018.   SYFY had only the first run rights which meant they had to make all of their money from people who either tuned into the SYFY channel to watch it when it was first aired or watched it on SYFY VOD during the first month an episode it was released.   After that Amazon Prime  had exclusive rights to the show in the US which means they got all of the binge watchers .   That along with the increase in cord cutters has made it even harder for basic cable channels like SYFY.   The question now is whether Amazon Prime will step up and purchase the first run rights for future seasons.   They might, but they have also just committed close to a billion dollars  on obtaining the rights to and developing content based on Tolkien’s middle earth.   That being said, The Expanse certainly has  a lot of the characteristics that make for an attractive franchise: lots of characterize, an extensive universe to work in and plenty of source material.

Jonathan

Jonathan Spencer
jonrspence at aol.com