[LMB] OT: The Expanse TV show cancelled?

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Wed May 16 20:26:37 BST 2018

Matthew's comments, while perhaps relevant to other TV shows, are not
relevant to The Expanse.

On Tue, 15 May 2018, Matthew George wrote:
> TV shows are sometimes intended to be complete within a pre-determined time
> or length, the way a properly-constructed book or movie is, but more often
> they depend upon continuation.  That means early termination risks
> destroying the value of the art.  I suggest avoiding them for that reason.

The Expanse is based on the book series of the same name by James SA Corey
(the pseudonym of Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck). That book series has been
approved for nine books, its expected completion. The book chronology has
gone well beyond the TV series.

The TV series is a different (theatrical) interpretation of the stories in
the books, but not a different story.

There's no risk to the TV viewer of not knowing the end of the story even
with a cancellation, since it will also be in the books. The
disappointment will be in missing a very compelling revisualization which
complements the books.

> Our Beloved Host always worked hard to ensure that her books could stand
> alone even when they were separate.  That principle has been weakened
> somewhat in more recent works like the Sharing Knife tetralogy, but in
> general she's kept the rule in operation.  And the books benefit from
> that.  Series in which that isn't the case have historically been...
> problematic, from a fan perspective, when the author dies or just doesn't
> know how to resolve the story.  Think of 'The Game of Thrones', or 'Alvin
> Maker', or 'The Wheel of Time' - all cases where the individual books are
> not complete entities in themselves, and it drove / is driving the fans
> crazy.

The first and second TV series each had a reasonable ending while still
being part of a larger story arc. Didn't drive me crazy.

> Don't give your heart to creators who will hurt you.  Don't put your heart
> in the hands of middlemen who will hurt you.  If a good thing is in the
> hands of bad people, it's best not to get attached.  (Although I
> acknowledge quality can vary among products - why is it Disney is doing so
> well handling the Marvel Superhero movies but so badly at Star Wars?)
> Sometimes cutting off a cherished franchise hurts, but it's better in the
> long run.

If that was a valid argument, we'd never have any multi-year TV series of
any type. There's been many series I've loved that didn't get renewed (for
example, "Peggy Carter"), but that didn't make the initial season(s) bad.

Was I disappointed when Sue Grafton died before writing the final ("Z")
novel in her Kinsey Millhone series, for example? (Both for not reading
that book and because she was such a cool person.) Did I regret her
writing books "A" to "Y"? Not in the slightest.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"As a writer you’re always surprised when you think of the right note or the right word.
You think, 'Oh, I didn’t know I could — oh, that’s good!' You know, writing’s full of
surprises for oneself." - Stephen Sondheim, T Magazine, October 16, 2017,
interviewed by Lin-Manuel Miranda