[LMB] Points that simmer to the surface....

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Sun May 20 00:34:49 BST 2018

On May 18, 2018, at 6:21 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> If you've only had the mild stuff (IMO, almost indistinguishable from
> soap) then you're in for a treat.  It's not the only place to make good
> Cheddar, of course.. but there is an awful lot of *bad* Cheddar out
> there.

Marc, I’m with you on the bath-soap.

I believe that in Cheddar, those cheeses are aged no less than three years. I forget the source of that, but if the “cheddar” you have doesn’t crumble in jagged layers, it’s not ready to eat.

Roberta suggested a specialty/gourmet grocery or cheese shop. Someone whose message I read this morning but cannot find in my mailboxes, suggested Neal’s Yard Cheddar among others. Black Diamond cheddar makes some good cheddar, uncolored I believe. Vermont’s Cabot makes older cheeses.

I know there are While Foods, Trader Joe’s, and other markets selling real cheeses in the Boston area, and if there’s not a good cheese shop on/near Harvard Square, I don’t know what the neighborhood has come to!

In North America, one can resort to e-commerce. Forget Harry&David, Figi’s, and anyone else who sell shelf-stable alleged cheese.
Zingermans.com, a bricks&clicks deli of amazing temptations of all manner of food in Ann Arbor MI, has amazing cheeses and too many other delights for my budget. Go take a look.

I used to order their pumpernickel-raisin bread, but now that I have two dependable sources (King Arthur Flour & Nuts.com, Bob’s Red Mill had to stop due to supply issues) of real pumpernickel rye flour/meal, I can make limpa, a spiced & orange scented pumpernickel bread.

A. Marina Fournier
Valley of Heart’s Delight, CA
saffronrose at me.com
sent from iFionnghuala