[LMB] Points that simmer to the surface....

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun May 20 23:41:16 BST 2018

On Sat, 19 May 2018 16:34:49 -0700, "A. Marina Fournier"
<saffronrose at me.com> wrote:

>Marc, I’m with you on the bath-soap.
>
>I believe that in Cheddar, those cheeses are aged no less than three years. I forget the source of that, but if the “cheddar” you have doesn’t crumble in jagged layers, it’s not ready to eat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheddar_cheese

There's actually only one producer left in Cheddar itself:

Only one producer of the cheese is now based in Cheddar itself, the
Cheddar Gorge Cheese Co.[35] The name "cheddar" is not protected by the
European Union, though the name "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar" has an
EU protected designation of origin, and may only be produced in
Somerset, Devon, Dorset and Cornwall, using milk sourced from those
counties.[36] Cheddar is usually sold as mild, medium, mature, extra
mature or vintage. Mature cheddar is the best-selling variety in the
UK.[37] Cheddar produced in Orkney is registered as an EU protected
geographical indication under the name "Orkney Scottish Island
Cheddar".[38]

I can find no *requirement* for 3 years' aging, though some vintage
cheddars are indeed aged for years.
--
Ligneous and petrous projectiles can potentially fracture my osseous structure,
but pejorative appellations will forever remain innocuous.