[LMB] Weddings

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue May 22 12:05:21 BST 2018

On Mon, 21 May 2018 11:04:17 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
wrote:

>From https://carriev.wordpress.com/2018/05/21/thoughts-from-the-weekend/ <https://carriev.wordpress.com/2018/05/21/thoughts-from-the-weekend/>
>
>I didn’t get up in time to watch the royal wedding but I caught up online. Everything was just so pretty. You know what I kept thinking of? Gregor and Laisa from the Vorkosigan books. Not their appearance (which isn’t anything like in the books) but in the way Harry and Meghan act with each other, all happy and a little bit clingy, and the way Meghan’s been thrown into this very weird and public culture and is doing just great with it, and the feeling you get that they’d run away if they could but they’re too aware of the propriety of it all to actually do it. So that’s in my head now and it made me happy.

I didn't watch it, though I've seen some pics; it's fascinating to see
the right-wing media gritting their teeth over being nice to a foreign,
divorced and not-quite-white-enough[1] bride joining the royals.

I'm sure Daily Mail readers and their ilk are suffering aneurysms at a
higher than usual rate.

The (beautifully polished) knives are out already.  There have been
think pieces in the media saying how she should be careful about getting
involved in politics....

[1] In their opinion.
--
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. - Ambrose Bierce