[LMB] OT: The Expanse TV show cancelled?

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Wed May 23 02:10:32 BST 2018

On 5/22/2018 5:15 PM, Raymond Collins wrote:
> My understanding of why "Dresden files" was cancelled was because the
> writer Jim Butcher wasn't happy with it.

     Not generally how it works, AIUI -- writers usually have no
control, or even input, over what Hollywood does once the rights have
been bought.  I had high hopes for DF on SF, but it never /quite/ came
together.  I just don't think it ever made the ratings needed to keep it
afloat.

     The Expanse is /extremely/ unusual in that it actually has the
writers of the novels directly involved, although not in control
(Associate Producers, I think?).  The big problem with TE is apparently
SF cut a /really/ poor deal -- essentially, SF only made money from
first-run views on-air, or over SF's own Video-On-Demand service, and
(IIRC) only for a limited time window after the original air date.  Any
other streaming, syndication, or future DVD/Blu-Ray sales, SF got
nothing at all.  That kind of deal might have made sense even recently
as five years ago, but with cord-cutters and binge-watchers displacing
cable-tv subscriptions at an accelerating rate, it really looks like
someone at SF didn't grasp how the market has changed.

     One bit of potential good news -- rumor has it Jeff Bezos is a BIG
fan of the novels, and got beat to the punch by SF when TE was being
shopped around.  So Amazon might just be inclined towards picking the
series up, and treating it well.