[LMB] LISTBIZ: GDPR

Melanie Dymond Harper mel at herald.co.uk
Fri May 25 17:52:14 BST 2018

(Replying to Harvey but since I don't actually read the list day to day,
the threading will get munged, sorry -- just keeping an eye on this
particular aspect)

Harvey said:

> One addendum - you also hold birthdays and birthdates. I realize that
> this is not part of the list management, per se, but it is data that
> is held by the list.

Yes; it's a very slightly grey area because it's data which I (as the
list manager) never requested, but that people have put under my control
in any case. I can't say I would be especially unhappy if the
birthday-wishes aspect went away, but I know some of _you_ would, and in
any case that genie has long since got out of its bottle. You might want
to at least consider not making your birth _year_ quite so public, even
if you want to continue making the day and month public.

(Note too that, this list being public as has been the case since Day 1,
there's an excellent chance that any postings have been archived
somewhere other than on my server(s). A quick poke at the Wayback
Machine suggests they have at least some of the index pages archived; I
didn't go digging to see if there was anything deeper down the directory
structure on their systems.)

Mel