[LMB] LISTBIZ: GDPR and Birthdays

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Fri May 25 21:31:59 BST 2018

On May 25, 2018, at 11:29 AM, Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote:

> I am the oldest person on the current list and I have no problem with my data
> being out there.

It seems we elder listees seem to be okay with the year being present in the birthday list. It’s not of major usefulness for ID theft.

Lists based on either of two major list-hosting firms, Google and Yahoo, have the security disadvantage of the hosts being well-known, whereas the servers used for this list are relatively obscure. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Many financial institutions we use are still asking for our mother’s maiden name (if I can’t avoid that question, I lie), a matter of public record, yet attached to other pieces of information which facilitates identity theft, and they should know better. THEY should do better, if they are as concerned as they claim to be about security and ID theft. I don’t notice any national regs anywhere making matters of public record forbidden in security questions. Too bad, but that’s not to be solved here.

A. Marina Fournier
Valley of Heart’s Delight, CA
saffronrose at me.com
sent from iFionnghuala