[LMB] Vashnoi Haiku

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 08:18:56 BST 2018

(-: I love haiku!

To be absolutely pedantic, a haiku has 17 hiragana characters in it, in the 5-7-5 pattern. In general, a character comprises of what we'd
think of as a syllable, however there's one character, "n" at the end, which counts as a single character. So the phrase, "ko-no-ka-n-ji"
would be five "syllables" in Japanese, while we'd probably hear it as four. Also, so-called "long vowels" (long in length, not sound) count
double. The name "Ko-u-su-ke" would sound like "Ko*ske" to us, I think. Which brings us to a third point: sometimes the u isn't sounded,
and to English-language-ears, the consonant before the "u" seems to collide with previous or next syllable.

LOL!

It's as clear as mud,
Appropriate for rainy
Seasons and poems.

In English, too, it's generally 5-7-5, although a lot of people mess around with it and call it good.

Micki (in response to Nicholas Rosen)