[LMB] LISTBIZ: GDPR and Birthdays

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun May 27 09:02:58 BST 2018

On Fri, 25 May 2018 13:31:59 -0700, "A. Marina Fournier"
<saffronrose at me.com> wrote:

>It seems we elder listees seem to be okay with the year being present in the birthday list. It’s not of major usefulness for ID theft.
>
>Lists based on either of two major list-hosting firms, Google and Yahoo, have the security disadvantage of the hosts being well-known, whereas the servers used for this list are relatively obscure. Correct me if I’m wrong.

"Security by obscurity" stopped being a usable idea decades back, with
even basic automation.  But birthdays are not by themselves particular
useful, and in many cases are out there on Facebook etc.

I'd not worry.
--
Politics is the art of choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable.
 - J.K. Galbraith