[LMB] OT: Entertaining writers was Re: Vashnoi goes live

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Sun May 27 14:21:40 BST 2018

> On May 26, 2018, at 7:19 PM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>
> Wasn’t the case with Marie Skłodowska Curie, Ada Lovelace, or Grace Hooper. The movie “Hidden Figures” seemed to show that credit was withheld because the “computers” were black women. I think the reason had more to do with academic arrogance than discrimination. A PHD will not share credit with a non-PHD.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

And Prof’s stealing credit from their grad students is a well known problem. The less power you have
the more likely to have your credit taken. Guess the result.

Remember after Einstein left his first wife, his major contributions were done.

It’s hard to come up with examples because if we hear about an exception, we’ve heard about it.
The New York Times ran a series of obituaries of women that hadn’t done obits of before and should
have. We know how this works in society at large and I don’t think academia is much different, in fact
the infighting is more vicious because the rewards are so small.