[LMB] OT: Personal Notes

sharuff13 sharuff13 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 12:19:41 BST 2018

Some countries have a ban on names. See article https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11943766 Interestingly, Sweden has a ban on calling your child 'Ikea'.
Sharuff

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> Date: 29/05/2018  12:09 pm  (GMT+00:00) To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk Subject: [LMB]  OT: Personal Notes
From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>

My mother always said that it was a bad idea to name a child something that
would look incongruous or silly on an adult.  She'd seen some badly-chosen
names in her nursery school teaching days, as well as when she taught high
school.

Gwynne (Yes, I'm back, my computer has decided that the internet does exist
after all): Quite frankly, any parent who names a child something like Storm or
Princess deserves whatever they get. Then there's the ones who decide to tell
you, in the middle of a parent interview, that their child was named Paris because
that's where she was conceived. (Mind you, that's still better than the one who
described BOTH childbirths, one sunny-side-up and one on hands and knees.
Really there are some details you DO NOT NEED to know.)

I also think there should be a special place on one of the outer circles of Heck for
parents who do weird spellings - poor Jak will spend all his life saying "No, there's
no 'c' in it." Afroditee will have an ongoing problem. Also Zakk. (I'm not making
these up, I taught the poor little sods.)

Oh, and watch out for initials. My grandfather gave two of his children the
initials VD.
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to sharuff13 at gmail.com
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk