[LMB] OT: Personal Notes

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Tue May 29 15:46:48 BST 2018

There can be a plus side to those kind of names. My brother's best friend in uni (they're still good friends, but life has caused them to end up in different cities so they're no longer quite so close) was named Storm, and when she figured out that she was, in fact, a she, she didn't need to change her name, as it was sufficiently gender-neutral to suit the boy her parents had originally thought they had and the woman she later grew to be.
Raye

Sent from Yahoo7 Mail on Android

  On Tue, 29 May 2018 at 9:10 pm, Gwynne Powell<gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:   From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>

My mother always said that it was a bad idea to name a child something that
would look incongruous or silly on an adult.  She'd seen some badly-chosen
names in her nursery school teaching days, as well as when she taught high
school.

Gwynne (Yes, I'm back, my computer has decided that the internet does exist
after all): Quite frankly, any parent who names a child something like Storm or
Princess deserves whatever they get. Then there's the ones who decide to tell
you, in the middle of a parent interview, that their child was named Paris because
that's where she was conceived. (Mind you, that's still better than the one who
described BOTH childbirths, one sunny-side-up and one on hands and knees.
Really there are some details you DO NOT NEED to know.)

I also think there should be a special place on one of the outer circles of Heck for
parents who do weird spellings - poor Jak will spend all his life saying "No, there's
no 'c' in it." Afroditee will have an ongoing problem. Also Zakk. (I'm not making
these up, I taught the poor little sods.)

Oh, and watch out for initials. My grandfather gave two of his children the
initials VD.
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to raye_j at yahoo.com
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk