[LMB] SP: Prison Reform

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Tue May 29 15:49:30 BST 2018

This barely touches on FoV but there are few examples of what happens to people convicted (or potentially convicted) of a crime in the nexus.
In the time of isolation, we mostly see death sentences but the crimes we hear about are mostly treason. On Beta Colony, crime is considered a mental health condition and is cured. Few people want to be cured. We don’t know how or they are cured but (without invoking Dark Beta) we know that mental restructuring for crimes is involuntary and even those who have not been convicted of a crime can be subject to “treatment” by a relative and post treatment permission. Walking around smiling all the time reminds me of an episode of The Orville. Maybe, in some cases, crime is a result of mental illness but IMO giving that much power to any group could be a disaster.
On Escobar, the penalty for fraud and jumping bail seems to be a long prison term. (Side note: Stock is not usually sold as a percentage of the business [except perhaps for Broadway shows] but at a price related to the current value of the business and the number of shares outstanding except at the initial issuance of the stock. MPVK Enterprises was closely held and didn’t issue new stock. I wonder just how ethical Enrique’s other investors were.)
I was surprised how much better Enrique showed. I think it was a combination of Marta’s influence, Miles not being overbearingly present, and the other characters taking him as he is.

Sent from my iPhone