[LMB] SP: Prison Reform

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Tue May 29 21:20:12 BST 2018

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 10:49 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> This barely touches on FoV but there are few examples of what happens to
> people convicted (or potentially convicted) of a crime in the nexus.
> In the time of isolation, we mostly see death sentences but the crimes we
> hear about are mostly treason. On Beta Colony, crime is considered a mental
> health condition and is cured. Few people want to be cured. We don’t know
> how or they are cured but (without invoking Dark Beta) we know that mental
> restructuring for crimes is involuntary and even those who have not been
> convicted of a crime can be subject to “treatment” by a relative and post
> treatment permission. Walking around smiling all the time reminds me of an
> episode of The Orville. Maybe, in some cases, crime is a result of mental
> illness but IMO giving that much power to any group could be a disaster.
> On Escobar, the penalty for fraud and jumping bail seems to be a long
> prison term. (Side note: Stock is not usually sold as a percentage of the
> business [except perhaps for Broadway shows] but at a price related to the
> current value of the business and the number of shares outstanding except
> at the initial issuance of the stock. MPVK Enterprises was closely held and
> didn’t issue new stock. I wonder just how ethical Enrique’s other investors
> were.)
> I was surprised how much better Enrique showed. I think it was a
> combination of Marta’s influence, Miles not being overbearingly present,
> and the other characters taking him as he is.

Was planning to talk some about Enrique, yes....

He's doing a lot better - he doesn't queer Ekaterin's lines at all, apart
from glum statements of "scientist" in response to claims that he's a
sorceror.

And I like the way he's willing to be part of the extended Vorkosigan
enterprise with taking on the kids and their animals - he's learning
Barrayaran rules quickly.

Karen Hunt