[LMB] LISTBIZ: GDPR (Tixie list)

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed May 30 16:59:53 BST 2018

On Tue, 29 May 2018 11:39:19 +0000, Gwynne Powell
<gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Gwynne: When I started on the net (many years ago) there was a lot of
>paranoia about it - according to some people the net was so dangerous,
>you're going to meet an axe murderer, etc (oddly, was sort of close to two
>in r/l, none online).  So I used a part of my name, a family surname, and
>picked a 'birth date' that had other significance for me. Not much use for
>identity theft. Now the name is a comfortable identity for me, I couldn't
>give it up.
>Jean, we'll have to start a club for paranoics. Just don't let anyone else
>know about it.

Odd, isn't it?  We've gone from "Be careful who you talk to on the
internet" and "Don't get into a car with a stranger" to using the
internet to summon a stranger with a car. In one generation.
--
Absence is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small,
it enkindles the great. -- Comte DeBussy-Rabutin