[LMB] LISTBIZ: GDPR and Birthdays

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed May 30 17:09:29 BST 2018

On Sun, 27 May 2018 11:20:34 -0400, Katrina Knight <kknight at fastmail.fm>
wrote:

>At 04:05 AM 5/27/2018 Marc Wilson wrote:
>>Current best practice is to allow you to specify your own
>>*questions* as
>>well as *answers*.  And then for the respondent to pick things
>>that
>>*aren't* a matter of public record: "What was the first concert
>>you
>>attended?"  "What was your first crush's middle name?"
>
>I've had to deal with a site that makes the user tell them what
>the question is before asking for the answer to it. So not only
>do you have to remember the answer, you have to remember which
>of the fairly stupid list of questions you chose to have them
>ask.

A step *too* far.  The problem there is that it becomes easier to
subvert the system than follow it, and people deal with it by writing
things down.

>I find that many companies offer a combination of questions that
>are too much a matter of personal record and questions that are
>more suitable for teens and twenty-somethings who were in high
>school recently. I have no idea what the first concert I went to
>was. I've gone to an awful lot of performances over the decades
>of my life.

Really?  I've been to many, but I'll never forget my first.
--
If you do commit suicide, if you're left-handed, hold the gun in
your right hand. It will drive the detectives nuts looking for