[LMB] Syllabub, was Vashnoi Haiku

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Thu May 31 02:39:20 BST 2018

On May 30, 2018, at 7:38 PM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that "syllabub" is something people drank in Regency period
> England; I've seen it mentioned in the naval fiction about that time I
> devour.

It's basically alcoholic whipped cream; you can get fed and drunk at the same time! (thanks, Ivan.)  Recipe and discussion here: https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/syllabub-recipe-easy-british-dessert-summer-article

The short version: "simply whip cold heavy cream in the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment until medium-stiff peaks form. Separately, whisk sugar, wine, and/or liquor together (use 3/4 -1 cup alcohol per 2 cups whipped cream and 1/2 - 3/4 cups sugar, depending on the sweetness of the alcohol you're using). Sweet dessert wine, such as late-harvest Riesling or dry white wine are classically used for the wine, and brandy, sherry, and cognac are often mixed in for the liquors ... [or] amaretto or Chambord.... Syllabub can be made with just wine or just liquor, or a mixture.... often served as a topping for trifle or pavlova ... with fresh berries, grilled stone fruit, toasted pound cake, or with lemon curd. But I'm here to tell you that you can simply dig into a bowl of syllabub on its own. Yes, I've totally just given you permission to eat a bowl of whipped cream. Summer just got way simpler."

Probably wouldn't work with soy milk, but maybe coconut cream, which can be whipped.

Huh, I wonder if syllabub was an inspiration for the maple ambrosia, either Watsonianly or Doylistically.

Katherine