[LMB] Politics??? Or the nature of reality?

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 03:01:43 GMT 2018

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 11:34:54 -0400, Rachel <anglerfish at gmail.com> wrote:

>I think it would depend on what sort of truths you are talking about. If we
>are looking at basic scientific processes, there are certainly things that
>are well-described enough that I think we can take them as truth for now
>until new data comes along. (I am very comfortable accepting something as
>truth for now and changing my understanding tomorrow if new data demands
>it, though I understand that some people want to be comfortable that a
>certain thing will be truth *forever*.)

In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it
would be perverse to withhold provisional assent'. I suppose that apples
might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal
time in physics classrooms. -  Stephen Jay Gould
--
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was
once eccentric.  - Bertrand Russell