[LMB] elbows

John Lennard john.c.lennard at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 13:08:07 GMT 2018

> I only ever think of "elbow" as the bony part on the outside. The idea of
> drawing blood from your elbow is bizarre. I don't know what I'd call the
> inner bit.

Doug: ?Cubit?, I believe.

John: Um ... I don't. -cubit- is the Latin for elbow, hence the biblical
measurement, a distance from elbow to fingertip ; and in old usage the
cubit was the forearm from elbow to palm : but it has never meant the inner
elbow, SFAIK.

Anatomically the inner elbow would be the antecubital fossa (cf. popliteal
fossa for the back of the knee). Wikipedia wants me to believe the inner
elbow is the antecubitis, but the OED doesn't have this word.

Associate Member & Director of Studies in English, Hughes Hall, Cambridge
www.humanities-ebooks.co.uk

*Mock-Death in Shakespeare's Plays*
The first full study of Shakespeare's favourite dramatic device

*The Exasperating Case of David Weber, or The Slow Death of The Honorverse*
22 years ago Weber created it and in the last ten he has broken it ...

*Tolkien's Triumph: The Strange History of *The Lord of the Rings
Just how did a 1000-page book with 6 appendices come to sell 8,500 copies
per day?

*Talking Sense About *Fifty Shades of Grey*, or Fanfiction, Feminism, and
BDSM*
The story the media *isn't* telling ...

Available from Kindle Stores, and in PDF from the author.