[LMB] A generation later

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Nov 6 00:33:07 GMT 2018

On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 03:29:33PM -0500, Royce Day wrote:

> > Honestly the lack of central institutions among Farmers seems a bit odd to
> me. I realize this is Not Exactly the 18th Century Midwest, so there is no
> government "Back East" to worry about, but there seems to be no government
> even at the town level. No mayors, or town councils. The closest we get is
> the fellow maintaining the marriage records in West Blue, and even that

I think 'clerks' get mentioned more than once, like the marriage guy,
and maybe land records, but otherwise law and leadership seem missed by
Dag and Fawn, despite the central importance of land ownership to farmer
life, which you'd think would lead to conflicts and thus conflict
resolution.

Now I wonder how much government shows up in Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn.
It's been a long time... there's not much mention in the first part of
Life On the Mississippi, though quite a bit later.

-xx- Damien X-)