[LMB] OT: Rivers of London-Publisher ethics

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Thu Nov 15 14:50:26 GMT 2018

On Thu, November 15, 2018 6:15 am, Kalina Varbanova wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 1:52 PM Caroline Tabach <ctabach at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I have not read them, why do people recommend this series?
>
> I don't know why anyone else does, but for me it's a lovely different
> view of urban fantasy, with vivid characters I can't wait to find more
> about and a fine weave of different supernatural backgrounds and ideas to
> explore. Characters are usually enough for me, and the world building is
> an extra bonus. And I generally can't put them down once I start. I hope
> if you do give them a try, you enjoy!

For me, it's a mixture of things.

The characters are really well-done and memorable - Peter, Leslie,
Nightingale.  Villains are eerie and memorable (particularly the Faceless
Man, who gets about two pages in the second book which are REALLY GOOD).
The interactions, the characterization, etc., are all very good.  I like
Abbie and Peter and Beverley and many many other ones.

The supernatural worldbuilding is very fine -- definite sense of place and
geography, and the magic feels magical (some people treat it too much like
electrical engineering...)  One thing I am particularly fond of is that it
has a good approach to what I call the "MIT Problem" with urban fantasy --
namely, if you've got magic in the modern world, what did Isaac Newton, or
the Massachusetts Institute of Thaumaturgy, or other people of interest,
have in the way of interaction with it?  Because "nobody looked" is just a
very unsatisfactory resolution.  (I particularly liked the bust of Sir
Isaac Newton in the Folly...)  There's a bunch of different stuff going
on, but it all feels right.

The sense of place is very nice.  I've been in London a few times, but
this London is one that matches what I know and goes far, far beyond it;
it's a good place to be in, and it's got history and change and time.

I enjoy the depiction of the interaction between Ye Olde England and
Peter's immigrant/multicultural England.  (Nightingale and Father Thames,
for instance, set opposite Peter and Mama Thames; many other examples
exist.)  I can see a young Nightingale having tea with Lord Peter Wimsey;
I can see modern London too.  It's very well-done.

Tony Z

--
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"