[LMB] OT: Rivers of London-Publisher ethics

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Fri Nov 16 04:30:05 GMT 2018

On Nov 15, 2018, at 4:19 AM, mieke <mvanspanje at home.nl> wrote:

> I like it that I have been and recognised a lot of places that are mentioned in the books.
> Next time I am in London I will have to look over my shoulder for ghosts etc

That’s how I reacted to the Bo Bradley mysteries, by Abigail Padgett. Set in San Diego, Bo works as an investigator for Child Protective Services, not too different from what (Dana Stabenow’s series set in Alaska) Kate Shugak did before her throat was nearly slit by a serial child molester. She nearly died.

However, Bo is bipolar, probably type one—and the first (and only, thus far) bipolar protagonist I’ve found in a novel. She was all over San Diego County, places I’d been to before I left for college—including one right by where we lived, by a hospital. I knew precisely where she was, and that was delightful.

AP has written a number of stories & novels set in San Diego. The one novel of hers I disliked is Bone Blind. Aside from the Bo Bradley series, the books I enjoyed the most are:
An Unremembered Grave
The Paper Doll Museum
The Mandy Dru Mysteries

BTW, 45 years after I left San Diego, without driver’s license or car, I can find my way around that County where I’d been in the 60’s and 70’s.

Five years after we moved to Santa Cruz, my husband couldn’t find his way around Pasadena, where he’d lived and worked for almost a decade. I still know my way around LA, much of Orange, and some of San Bernardino Counties, almost 30 yrs later. Albuquerque, not really, as it has grown substantially since I left.

In 1987 London, I had just left the V&A Museum, and possibly walking to a Tube station, when I passed a four storey building with a brick facade. It looked so familiar. Took me a minute, but then I realized I’d seen it in a photo in 1984/85, at the LA office. They wanted flip charts in a calligraphic hand. They wanted me to work in their office in woefully inadequate conditions. I refused and took the materials home, to a much better setup.

Odd what sticks in your brain.

A. Marina Fournier
Valley of Heart’s Delight, CA
saffronrose at me.com