[LMB] G&S in the Vorkosiverse

Harvey fishman at panix.com
Mon Nov 19 04:52:08 GMT 2018

------ Original Message ------
From: "Carol Botteron" <cjbotteron at gmail.com>
To: "lmb-list" <Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Bcc: fishman at panix.com
Sent: 11/18/2018 23:20:11
Subject: Re: [LMB] G&S in the Vorkosiverse

>I'd be interested to learn why you might choose "Thespis" as a model.  Many
>of us G&S fans are more familiar with some of the other operas, such as
>"H.M.S. Pinafore" (Anna Russell's model), "Pirates of Penzance," and
>"Mikado."  Typically the plots are social satire with the message "Marry
>someone your own age."

A possible reason for choosing _Thespis_ is that we really know very
little of it. There is no known copy of the score and fragments of two
songs (Climbing Over Rocky Mountain and Little Maid of Arkadee) are all
that we have. Climbing Over Rocky Mountain was reused (sorta) in _The
Pirates of Penzance_, but that is all.

Harvey