[LMB] AKICOT:L Questions/Opinions

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com
Mon Nov 19 21:29:37 GMT 2018

> On Nov 19, 2018, at 11:00 AM, WalterStuartBushell <proto at panix.com> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 18, 2018, at 9:43 PM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com <mailto:ravenclaweric at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Quite a few big university sports coaches make more than the President of
>> the university makes, or so I hear.  After all, any academic can be a
>> university president, but a coach that brings in big, BIG bucks for the
>> university by consistently coaching winning teams is another matter
>> entirely.
>>
>> Just another reason to separate schools from sports.
>>

> And the coach may be able (effectively) to get the president fired.

I believe I know of a case where both the university president and the athletic
director were, in essence, fired because they declined to replace a football coach who had a losing (it wasn’t close at all) record against the traditional rival (but was winning enough to go to bowl games every season, where he had a losing record as well). Prominent and wealthy alumni were displeased.

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com