[LMB] Other works quote

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com
Tue Nov 20 19:56:52 GMT 2018

> On Nov 20, 2018, at 11:26 AM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 12:47 AM baur baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:
>
>> is that an emberverse or a vorkosiganverse stroy?
>>
>> Servus
>>
>> markus
>>
>> I love living in a multi-verse, even if most of it is fictional.
> It was kind of interesting how the emberverse switched from SF-based to
> pure fantasy, with a gentle flavoring of Arthurian sword.

It was fantasy from the beginning (_Dies the Fire_). Messing up the gas laws requires a Maxwell’s Demon to shepherd each gas molecule in the atmosphere (well, perhaps one Maxwell’s Demon could shepherd several gas molecules, but there would still be a very large number of them). However, stopping metals from conducting electricity is worse. Everything is tied together and you can not change one thing. The electrical conductivity of metals is emergent behavior of quantum mechanics (I think their ductility and even their shine is also that). Unfortunately, chemistry is also the emergent behavior of quantum mechanics. Life is emergent behavior of the chemistry of carbon atoms (I could go further, but I don’t think I need to).

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com