[LMB] OT: I need help finding the title of a particular classic SF story

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Tue Nov 20 23:25:48 GMT 2018

On 11/20/18 14:54, Matthew George wrote:

> <snip> There's a
> particular story about a scientist who hypothesizes that just as a human
> raised by chimps would be permanently psychologically stunted, 'normal'
> people were stunting the development of those who had the capacity for
> more, and so arranged for the military to have children raised with a
> minimum amount of oversight and absolutely no contact with the outside
> world, to see what kind of people they'd turn out to be.  Then hippies and
> transcendence.  (Surprise!)
>
> Does that sound familiar to anyone?  My searches in SF databases have
> turned up few clues, and I initially stumbled across the story by accident
> in a very old pulp printing of an anthology which I no longer have access
> to.

I think I read that one a very long time ago (late 80's early 90's), in
an anthology and in French -- so probably older than those dates and
might have gotten a Hugo/Nebula nomination. Those books are in my
childhood bedroom 5,000 miles away... but Google is my friend!

The anthology series was
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Grande_Anthologie_de_la_science-fiction

Most likely volume was https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histoires_de_surhommes

And the story I am thinking about was Howard Fast
<https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Fast>'s _/The First
Men_/(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Men)

"[A] group of scientists and educators, through a controlled
environment, succeed in raising naturally gifted children into
"man-plus"—people who possess comparatively super-human abilities.

Their controlled environment, an isolated compound inCalifornia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California>comprising 8,000 acres
(32 km^2 ), is a government sponsored facility granted for the raising
of the children. The scientists were given fifteen years, later extended
by three more years and a few weeks, to experimentally raise the
children. By a very early age, the children surpass their teachers'
knowledge."

And they develop psychic powers.

Rings a bell?

Agnes