[LMB] G&S in the Vorkosiverse

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 22 17:38:26 GMT 2018

From: Luke Bretscher <rocketman0739 at gmail.com>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 6:25 PM Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > We don't know what Miles' singing range is, do we?
>> Come to that, I don't recall any mention of whether his speaking voice
>> is usually high- or low-pitched.
>
> It seems likely that, as a rather short person, his voice would be on
> the higher end. Smaller resonant cavity and all that.

Peter Dinklage's voice is fairly low, and he's shorter than Miles.
Though his particular form of dwarfism gave him a "normal" head and
torso but very short limbs.  We've got textev that Mile's legs are
quite short, from the occasions when he's had trouble keeping up with
other people running.  And that his head is fairly normal.  His spine
is abnormally curved, initially, though the Duronas straightened it.
Is there textev regarding the proportions of his torso?

At any rate, vocal pitch is determined by one's voice box, not by
body resonance.  The various resonance chambers in the body do affect
the tonal qualities of one's voice, but the basic mechanism is more
like that of a string instrument than that of a wind instrument.

Joel