[LMB] G&S in the Vorkosiverse

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Fri Nov 23 01:00:06 GMT 2018

May have misattributed who said what in earlier parts of the conversation...

On Nov 22, 2018, at 9:38 AM, Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> From: Luke Bretscher <rocketman0739 at gmail.com>
>>> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 6:25 PM Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> It seems likely that, as a rather short person, his voice would be on
>> the higher end. Smaller resonant cavity and all that.
>
> Peter Dinklage's voice is fairly low, and he's shorter than Miles.
> Though his particular form of dwarfism gave him a "normal" head and
> torso but very short limbs.

I’m told he’s a very nice person and easy to work alongside.

Meredith Eaton, currently MacGyver’s boss on the reboot, also has a normal size head with a body of similar size to Peter Dinklage. She does authority very well. Her voice is a bit low, as in sings alto, but light & clear.

I was very happy to see him as a love(/hate) interest to the title character in The Boss (2106) movie. I think it was Peter who said men his size never got to play romantic roles.

> At any rate, vocal pitch is determined by one's voice box, not by body resonance.  The various resonance chambers in the body do affect
> the tonal qualities of one's voice, but the basic mechanism is more
> like that of a string instrument than that of a wind instrument.

Just having read this
https://www.npr.org/2016/04/25/475611808/why-freddie-mercurys-voice-was-so-great-as-explained-by-science

I would hazard a guess that the particular construction of Freddy Mercury’s voice, including his uncorrected buck teeth, as well as his unusually high vibrato rate, were a large part of what made his voice unique.

A. Marina Fournier
Valley of Heart’s Delight, CA
saffronrose at me.com
sent from iFionnghuala