[LMB] OT: (very) Why has saddle stitching gone away?

Harvey fishman at panix.com
Fri Nov 23 01:28:56 GMT 2018

------ Original Message ------
From: "Raye Johnsen" <raye_j at yahoo.com>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Bcc: fishman at panix.com
Sent: 11/22/2018 20:11:01
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: (very) Why has saddle stitching gone away?

>On Friday, November 23, 2018, 7:14:52 AM GMT+11, Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote:
>>  The particular ones that I am
>>  immediately thinking of were _Scientific American_ and _The New Yorker_. Recently (past five
>>  years or so) both magazines have discarded saddle stitching for what is close to perfect
>>  binding. WHY???
>I just googled 'saddle stitching vs perfect binding' and found out the following facts:- saddle stitching requires multiples of four pages (8, 12, 16, 20, 24, etc)- saddle stitching has a maximum limit (the binder I looked at has a limit of 68 pages, I wouldn't expect it to go much bigger)
>Perfect binding, however, only requires multiples of 2 in its page count and has an upward limit of 1000 pages (which is why perfect binding is used for most paperbacks).
>I think, knowing these particular magazines, that what's likely to have happened is that their page counts have expanded past the saddle stitching page count limit, so they've been forced to go to perfect binding.
>Raye
>raye_j at yahoo.com
>I believe in dragons, unicorns, good men and other mythical creatures.
>--
I do not accept your limits on saddle stitching. At one time _The New
Yorker_ had the second largest amount of display advertising in the
United States. The magazine with the largest amount of display
advertising was McGraw Hill's _Business Week_, also saddle stitched, and
it still is though it is now published by Bloomberg. In any case, a
typical copy of _The New Yorker_ in late fall would run well over 200
pages saddle stitched. It came in a brown paper wrapper so that the
pages were kept pristine. And the page creep problem is solved by
cutting AFTER the binding is complete. That 68 page lie seems to be
promulgated by people selling perfect binding equipment.

Harvey