[LMB] OT: Roombas (was Re: AKICOTL OT: Crawling Saucers)

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 25 17:35:49 GMT 2018

Helen Fenton <hifenton at internode.on.net> wrote:
> Things don't work well with Roombas  If you have a cat in  the
> house. Cats barf and the Roombas don't vacuum  it up just smear it
> around the area. I intended to buy a Roomba until I saw what happened
> in my friends house. Also they fill up too fast they don't cope with
> the amount of fur that cats shed.

Our Roomba bumps around our dining-room chairs and gets itself stuck
between them by shifting them. We have to have our bathroom door
held open at night, because otherwise the Roomba bumps the door so
that the door closes behind it and the Roomba can't get out. (This
is particularly problematic for us because the cat's litter box is in
there, and if the cat can't get at its litter box, unpleasant things
happen.) The Roomba manages to wedge itself under furniture and behind
things. It bumps its charging station, shifting it enough that the
Roomba can't make its connections.

It gets tangled with speaker wire, USB charging cords, and
such. Anything like string gets sucked in, and it's amazing how much
stuff it will wind up in its rotating brushes. Cat toys... [*sigh*]
Cat toys inevitably get left on the floor and tangled in the Roomba's
brushes, making it shut down.  Usually someplace inaccessible.

There's no question that it picks up dirt, but the technology is far
from mature enough for our needs.

Joel