[LMB] OT: The New Doctor

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 27 17:15:21 GMT 2018

Alex Kwan wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2018, at 21:37, BJ van Look <vanlook at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> That's the reason I stopped watching when Tennant took over. It turned
>> into a big emo soap opera (as a former watcher of Days of Our Lives,
>> I can say that) of convoluted, disconnected, prettily filmed vignettes
>> with crappy acting and poor ideas.Tedious as hell.

> I thought this new season has pretty cool ideas. So far they had
> focused on Rosa Parks and the India/Pakistan partition. The show was
> originally imaged to be educational by going back to historical events,
> and it’s doing that.

I wasn't impressed by the first couple of episodes with the new Doctor;
they appeared to be full of the fast-paced babbling that had become
typical of the show.  I was quite apprehensive about the Rosa Parks
episode, but was pretty pleased by it when I nerved myself to watch it.
I also quite liked the partition episode.  Both were pretty unflinching:
real people in terrible situations, far beyond the Doctor's capacity
to fix.  The shows didn't wave away racial prejudice, as had killed
my suspension of disbelief several times with the Martha Jones stories.

I do wish they'd stop using the sonic screwdriver as a magic wand,
though.

Joel