[LMB] Discoveries

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Oct 1 05:58:31 BST 2018

On 9/30/2018 9:12 PM, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
> Another point, I have often said that I’m glad people don’t have
> super powers. It makes the world a lot simpler and safer

Eh. Taken literally and to extremes, as is often done in science
fiction, that turns into that one dystopia story where everyone is
handicapped so that no one is "better" than anyone else, and people too
far below the norm are killed.

I'm sort of looking forward to true generalist artificial intelligence,
cybernetic brain-computer links and genetic engineering. Yeah, we need
to develop some good ethics for developing it, and good ethics to teach
to our "super-human" children and AIs.

But not going for it would be sort of like hoping that your children are
dumber and less capable, so they don't make you and the neighbors look bad.

Heh. Makes me think of Heinlein's Lazarus Long advice about making all
of the right monkey noises and wearing a fake monkey tail so that the
other monkeys never realize you don't fit in with them.

And now I'm wondering how much of human society is people doing their
best to imitate what they think the right monkey noises are, never
realizing how many other fake monkeys are in the group.
--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil