[LMB] OT: Re: gmail shenanigans

Katrina Knight kknight at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 1 21:21:13 BST 2018

At 04:01 PM 10/1/2018 Marc Wilson wrote:
>On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 21:35:36 -0600, Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>
>wrote:
>
> >> I've had POP providers where any messages older than 30
> days were deleted by provider policy.

How many years ago?

>>In fact they must do this and it's one of the reasons IMAP is
>>superior.

No. "I like it better" is still not the same as "it is
superior". You have every right to say it is superior for *your*
purposes. You haven't presented a case for it being superior in
general though.

>If they "must" do this, I know of at least a dozen ISPs
>breaking the standard.

I know of far more than a dozen. In reality, there are few
commercial providers who do anything like that. Most providers
have a limit on how much you can leave on the server, not on how
long, and that limit applies whether you're using POP, IMAP,
Exchange, or a webmail interface. The limit on how much is
typically multiple GB at this point. If you reach your limit,
the provider will typically start bouncing your new messages
rather than deleting your old ones. Some providers will also
dump your messages if you fail to log in for an extended period
of time. (Usually much longer than 30 days but I think I've
heard of it happening after 60 days of non-access.)

If you're using a private server rather than a commercial
provider, all bets are off on what they might do. Most people
use commercial providers for their personal mail though.

There will always be a few atypical providers around but telling
people on they should do things based on what experience with an
obscure provider they're not using, or on something that happen
years ago that is not happening currently, makes no sense.

--
Katrina Knight
kknight at fastmail.fm