[LMB] Politics??? Or the nature of reality?

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 9 17:02:57 BST 2018

WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
> Scientific truths change but are not overthrown. Just because it breaks
> down at the quantum level Newton?s laws still work on the macro level.

"Scientific truths" are overthrown rather regularly..

It was "scientific truth" that it was merely coincidence that the
shape of South America's outie matched the shape of Africa's innie.
Continents *moving*?  Absurd!

Nobody knew what caused AIDS, but the notion of a retrovirus was
nonsensical.  Similarly with CJD and kuru, and prions.  Proteins
replicating?  Impossible!

The encyclopedia set I grew up with declared that light and other EM
radiation was transmitted by waves in the ether.  That's what the
physicists used to believe: the luminiferous ether was quite rigid
but oddly intangible.  By the time I read that in the encyclopedia,
I already knew it was wrong from other reading.

The "truth" held by the entire scientific community of those fields
turned out to be simply wrong.

Joel