[LMB] Politics??? Or the nature of reality?

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 23:10:57 BST 2018

Truth or reality, in the sense of an accurate representation of the systems
in which we exist, is ultimately unknowable.  But, to paraphrase Greg Egan,
science is just systematic honesty.  To paraphrase George Orwell, freedom
is just the ability to openly state that two plus two equals four, and
everything else follows.

The people who go on about how subjective experience means that truth is
subjective?  I've always, ALWAYS found them to be liars.  Sometimes they're
telling lies to themselves first, sometimes they're trying to delude those
around them.  But they've never been honest in my experience - and sadly,
I've experienced a lot of them.