[LMB] Discoveries

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Wed Oct 10 20:50:59 BST 2018

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:21:44AM -0400, Jonathan Spencer wrote:

> Nothing!  Pointless!  While manned spaceflight  has to date remained primarily a scientific endeavor, I think you are forgetting the impact that satellites have on our daily life.   Weather satellites,  telecommunications and the global positioning system have had major impacts on our daily life whether you realize it or not.  The type and level of information that satellites collect is amazing.  Agriculture and many industries  benefit from specialized information feeds from satellites.  Satellites are also a major tool in oceanography.   Hardly nothing.

Yeah, satellites are huge.  And profitable.

> As for manned spaceflight, with the advent of private space ventures
> such as SpaceX, Blue Origin,  and Deep Space Industries, to name just
> three, we are on the cusp of a new age of manned space travel and are

My skepticism is as large as satellite profitability.

You can reduce costs by a factor of ten, and putting people in space
will still be prohibitively expensive, dangerous, and pointless.

> <https://www.space.com/41278-japan-space-elevator-cubesats-experiment.html>
> (Space Tethered Autonomous Robotic Satellite-Mini Elevator) payload
> arrived at the International Space Station (ISS) on Sept. 27 and is
> currently being tested, so we may be significantly closer to a space
> elevator and the ability to move payloads into space at a

The difference between that and a real space elevator is like the
difference between a Tinkertoy set and the Brooklyn bridge.

> at the benefits of  manufacturing in zero-g and near zero-g, and we
> are likely to see the first stages  of commercial manufacturing in
> space within the next 10-15 years as well as the possible mining of
> asteroids and the moon.  Also in the last month three separate

For how long have people been predicting the imminence of space
manufacturing, asteroid mining, and space tourism?

-xx- Damien X-)