[LMB] OT: Writer's tricks, expecting the reader to continue without understanding

adkinslawfirm at mindspring.com adkinslawfirm at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 12 14:06:07 BST 2018

Rachel is finding _Too Like The Lightning_ confusing so far.

I have them, but haven't read them yet.  Before I do, I plan to reread some articles, for grounding in that complex world.  I'd start with:
https://www.tor.com/2018/03/22/writing-the-distant-future-of-global-politics/

then re-read Jo Walton's insights: https://www.tor.com/2018/03/21/ada-palmers-too-like-the-lightning-is-a-future-worth-having/

before looking over the articles here, many in dialog with each other, http://crookedtimber.org/category/ada-palmer-seminar/

Lots of interesting articles & perspectives are compiled here: https://www.tor.com/tag/terra-ignota/

Normally, I am not fond of doing homework before diving into a book, but Ada's a professor, so having some background in mind certainly helps.  [Not to mention, the thoughts and reactions of other authors are fascinating.  But then, I groove on that author-on-author action.]

I hope this helps.

Jerrie