[LMB] Holovids for youngsters

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 13 17:34:35 BST 2018

My sweetie has been listening to a couple of novels based on Greek
mythology.  Each time I hear the name "Daedalus", I flash to the "Mighty
Hercules" cartoons of my youth, which got me thinking about Rocket Robin
Hood, which got me thinking about Nicky and Miles's favourite holovids.

Crappy animation, because kids don't really care, so why spend
the money on making it look good?  A slightly dim-witted sidekick.
A cute sidekick.  Dialogue somewhat repetitive.  Foolish villains.

CAPTAIN VORTALON: Well, old chum, it looks like we beat the Cetas here!
For Barrayar!

LT. "SKIPPY" PURVIS: Yeah, sir!  For Barrayar!

RUSTY THE POTTED SKELLYTUM: Squeek squeeksqueeksqueek!

SFX: OMINOUS RUMBLING SOUND

VORTALON: Wait, what's that?

MAIN VIEWSCREEN FLICKERS ON, SHOWING GHEM COL. MORTIS

MORTIS: Thought you'd escaped me, did you?  ASIDE: Ready tractor beam!

SKIPPY: Oh no, it's Colonel Mortis!

RUSTY: HONK!  HONK!

RUSTY STARTS FLAILING AT THE HELM CONTROLS

MORTIS: This time I shall...

CETA AIDE RUSHES UP, WHISPERS URGENTLY FOR A MOMENT

MORTIS PAUSES, GLANCES ASIDE TOWARDS WHAT'S OBVIOUSLY A MIRROR
BESIDE THE CAMERA, TOUCHES UP FACE PAINT.  WHILE HE DOES SO, VORTALON
SURREPTITIOUSLY PRESSES SEVERAL BUTTONS ON HIS CONSOLE.

MORTIS: THIS time I shall have you!

NARRATOR: Can Vortalon and his friends escape the clutches of Colonel
Mortis?  Tune in next week for The Adventures of... CAPTAIN VORTALON!

Joel