[LMB] OT: Writer's tricks, expecting the reader to continue without understanding

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Sat Oct 13 22:49:08 BST 2018

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 10:12:56PM -0400, Fred Smith wrote:

> I havethe same problem with this book. moreover, I have the  same problem
> with many of the books Tor gives away. I find them too weird, or too
> unwilling to work with me, and I usually give up within a chapter or two.
>
> I keep trying anda few of them are books I can get through and sometimes
> evenlike. But for sure many of them are just too opaque I don't THINK it
> is a sign of old age...

It's not some simple scientifiction adventure yarn.  There's lots of
worldbuilding, with Ada trying to imagine a future,
quasi-utopian-but-strange, society.  *And* drawing on her expertise as a
professional historian; there's probably lots of references I don't even
get.  And, yeah, being written as if by one member of the society to
other members, so it's not stopping and explaining things they would all
know.  ("As you know, Bob, most Americans drive cars to work.")

I won't say reading it was work, because it didn't feel like work to me,
but it does take attention and memory.

-xx- Damien X-)