[LMB] OT: Writer's tricks, expecting the reader to continue without understanding

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 17:34:43 BST 2018

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:16 PM Rachel <anglerfish at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm about 50 pages into Too Like Lighting and I'm vaguely irritated with it
> because I don't feel like I have a strong understanding of the world and of
> what's going on. ...
>
>   I think Fifth Season held a little more explanation back than Lois's
> books do, but it was just perfect for me.

Just read 5th Season recently.  It is very, very clearly holding back info
which, also very clearly, _will be explained in due time_ and see if you
can figure it out before the author solves the puzzle for you.

Too Like Lighting- I read a while back, and had too look up the cover.  Oh,
yeah. That book. Which I kind of enjoyed while reading, and immediately
forgot.  It was indeed chaotic, and when you get to the end it is still
chaotic.  Saw the sequel, did not remember title of the first book, and
then remembered it again, mostly that it was chaotic. 2nd book also
chaotic.   It's not a puzzle, to be solved, it's mostly chaos with rich
people, and a poor prisoner who hobnobs with them, so we forget he's a
prisoner sometimes. (and he's so humble too, unless he's not.)